Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Arrived Safely in Vienna

Okay, I know I should post a substantive blog soon, but not much has happened as far as the internship goes (since today was my first day.)

I arrived safely in Vienna last night after a very long journey. I unpacked just what I needed for my first day at work, took a shower and went straight to sleep. This morning I was met outside the BEAUTIFUL UN building by the outgoing UNGIFT intern who acted as my tour guide all day. I didn't do anything substantive...but I have a badge, desk, computer login, phone line extension (wowser!), etc.

Three amazing things about work:
1. Just sitting back in the cafeteria to listen to all the languages simultaneously happening around me while I eat my UN price controlled salad (only 2.90)
2. They offer FREE, yes FREE, language classes in all the official UN languages...I'm signing up for Russian to actually learn it and Spanish to improve (I know this will make all Spanish native-speaking friends happy)Although, doing the two simultaneously will probably lower the possibility of losing my Russian accent when I speak Spanish.
3. UNGIFT only has 5 full-time staff....for those of you who haven't had the unique pleasure of being an intern, small staff=intern's being assigned ACTUAL substantive work.

Three amazing things about personal life:
1. My flat: basically is exactly what I have always dreamt of living in, in my dreams in which I'm living anywhere in Europe. Its funky, kinda old and definitely creaky, with really strange decor and huge windows looking out on beautiful architecture and a cobblestone street. Pictures soon to come...
2. My flatmates: Both within one year of my age, one is a law student in her final year (finishing exams right now, with the crazed look in her eye to prove it); the other a guy art student finishing his masters who has the tiniest bedroom but makes it feel huge because he built a loft for his queen bed and then put a fullsize couch and an armchair underneath.
3. 15minute commute to work. Enough said.

Okay, thats about it for now--I'm off for a night out with my flatmates!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like fun. Can't wait to hear more. BTW, you should allow anonymous comments.

    Jimmy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now I want to visit your flat in Vienna :) You should come visit my studio loft on a hill next to a hundred-acre wood with a 54ft stone tower on top.

    ReplyDelete